Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes |Serves: 2
I first started working with hearts of palm for a traditional vegan crab cake recipe. But then I thought, what else could I make in the seafood family? Aha! A lobster roll. I re-imagined this New England summertime favorite while maintaining traditional flavors and textures. Hey, vegan butter is just as good as the real thing.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm (not packed with sugar), rough chopped to consistency of crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 (6-inch) hoagie rolls
- Vegan butter
- Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the heat and add the onion mixture to the hearts of palm. Mix well. Add the Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and mayo.
4. Toast the hoagie rolls until gold brown, then butter the insides.
5. Divide the hearts of palm mixture between both rolls. Serve warm with wedges of lemon.